Tips for Packing when Moving to another Country

11:42:00 PM

So here’s the reason why I’m not able to keep my blog updated. We moved to another country. We are now living in Japan. We haven’t settled yet and currently living in a hotel. I thought I would share with you some tips I’ve learned along way on how to pack your things when moving to another country. I do my research online but I haven’t found that much resources so I hope this post will contribute. So let’s begin.

A little background, I am moving together with my husband and my son. That means I’m packing for three people and that complicates it more. I made a serious planning prior to packing. Here’s the things I’ve learned.

CONSIDER SHIPPING

If you are moving to another country or going on a long trip, consider shipping your stuffs to the destination. You might save more rather than availing additional luggage limit on the plane (but please do your research first) and you will save yourself from the hassle of carrying all your stuffs around the airport (this I am sure!). This is also good idea if you do not have a place to live yet just like in our case. Our stuffs were kept at the shipper’s storage and they will ship those when we already find an apartment. What items do I ship? Mostly my baby’s big toys, linen and beddings, books and furniture. I wasn’t able to bring my appliances because the voltage in Japan is different from Philippines. So bonus tip: check the voltage of your country destination before packing your appliances.

CHECK THE AIRPORT LUGGAGE RULES

You have to know first how much you can carry with you in the plane. Luggage allowances varies from airlines to airlines so be sure to check your airline’s rules beforehand. Also, note that luggage allowance is not just about the weight of your luggage but the dimension as well, the length, width and height of your luggage so be aware of that. Also, if you have a connecting flight, check the luggage rules on the connecting airlines so you’re sure to bring with you your entire luggage to your destination.

BRING ONLY WHAT YOU CAN CARRY

Although we are allowed to carry as much as 4 medium luggage and 2 small size luggage, we do not maximize the limits. As mentioned, our baby is traveling with us; we are expecting to carry him around the airport and during transport so it’s not humanly possible for us to handle that much of luggage. So  assess what we can carry with you. 

DON’T BRING ANYTHING YOU CAN BUY THERE

We are aware that the prices in Japan is more expensive and that some of our toiletries, skincare will not be available there. At first, we are tempted to stock up in preparation and bring that with us. The thought of hoarding my favorite shampoo, conditioner, lotion, moisturizer etcetera and etcetera came to my mind. But then I realized that doing so will consume a precious luggage space. After all, we are living there for quite a long time so I must start accustoming myself to the local products. Same goes for baby’s diaper, baby’s milk (my baby’s pediatrician suggested that we find a new milk there) and anything consumable. I just brought few toiletries, diaper and babies milk enough for a couple of days.

DON’T BUY ANYTHING IN PREPARATION

This tip, I learned from Coco from Light by Coco in one of her youtube videos. At first, I thought of buying a winter coat and winter boots. But then I realized that this things are bulky and will consume luggage space. Also, I’m not sure if the items that I will buy will really be suitable for that country. So don’t buy anything in preparation. Buy it there when the need arise. Coco also mentioned to carry half stuffs of what you thought you need and double amount of money you thought you’ll need. So after I selected the clothes and things that I’ll bring, I check it again and remove almost half of it.

So those are my tips. I’m thinking of sharing what I pack in our suitcase and other stuffs in our journey so make sure to come back for the next blog posts. See you again!

You Might Also Like

0 comments