How to Organize Documents and Papers

6:00:00 AM

Sure all houses have this and this one is an unnoticed clutter culprit. After all, how can one paper bill makes a room clutter, it barely occupies space. But if you keep getting them every month, wait until you see it piled up in your house. So today’s post is dedicated solely to paper clutter. Let me share to you our paper system.


Minimize Papers inflow in the House

First step is to limit the paper inflow in the mailbox. To do this, I would enroll most of our utility billing into paperless so I get billings online instead of the actual paper going into our mail. I am also a fan of online books and magazine so those things do not come to our house also. This way, we would have less paper to organize.

Digitalize

Now, for those papers that came into a mailbox, I will deal with it immediately and will check whether they can now be disposed (or recycle) or be stored digitally. With today’s great camera phone and cloud storage, we can now keep our files virtually so they won’t take up physical storage space. Some people are hesitant to use the digital file but let me you the benefits:

  •  It prolongs the life of your document. Papers are destructible, after a few years you may not be able to read what’s written on it but with digital paper, its immortal (as long as you don’t accidentally delete it)
  • You will always have it without having to have it physically. I love that I can take notes and keep references on Dropbox or in my email. Every time I need it, all it takes is a search button or better my favorite shortcut keys CTRL+F  and there you have it.
  • You can share it. I’m actually neutral about this one. You can share it but it’s also susceptible to being accessed without your permission. So you have to be extra careful in dealing with your digital file.


Going back to my system, my rule is to store every paper digitally except if it will require having the original copy or if it will be too difficult to get a new copy. Those things I called Permanent File and will keep them. But the rest, I will scan, store in cloud storage and dispose after. I do have an HP scanner but it’s quite slow and consumes more electricity so for most of the time my phone is the reliable scanner device. I use this app for my android phone called TinyScanner. It scans neatly, has an option to send your documents to dropbox or google drive directly and best of all its free! But not for iPhone though, it's still cheap anyway.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appxy.tinyscanner&hl=en

Have a centralize storage

Now let’s tackle the Permanent File. Permanent file includes birth certificate, marriage certificate, contracts, business registration, official receipts of an important purchase and anything important you can’t get rid of. A permanent file varies per individual so go decide your own permanent file. But let me remind you, a love letter you dearly keep is not part of permanent file. Sure you are not willing to get rid of it, but it is categorize as a Sentimental Item which I will discuss on a separate blog post. So please, don’t include it in the permanent file folder. Now I keep these papers in one accordion folder because it has pockets inside and it has enough space to hold my entire permanent file. The category I use is Certificates, Contract, Receipts, School Credentials etc.  I also keep the first pocket empty and I use it for papers that I’m not sure yet if I should keep or dispose, I will keep it there temporarily until I was able to decide.

So that’s how I keep my paper organized. This system works for me and I hope this will help you too. Keep in touch for more organization tips. You can subscribe to my rss feed so it’s specially delivered to your mailbox. Thank you. 


For those who find difficulty in organizing your home, I want to help. Send me an email at info@romanelle.com and let me know your organizing problems and I will give  my best to help you. Talk to you again next time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments