What to Do with Sentimental Items

6:00:00 AM

For today’s post, we will be sharing about an organizing problem that is difficult to deal with, the sentimental items. What are sentimental items? This could be a gift from someone special, a house decoration, love letters, photos or any other things that has a memory or feelings attached to it. This is difficult to deal with because as mentioned, this has an emotional value. Definitely, there is a way to organized sentimental items so let’s get started.


Choose well

Decide whether you should keep the item or not. Some people will set aside a small box and keep all sentimental items there. But personally, that doesn’t work for me. If sentimental items is really valuable then why buried it in the box? If it’s purpose has been fulfilled like making you happy when you received it, then it’s time to let it go, purpose accomplished. Don’t worry that the giver may be offended when you get rid of it. After all, it has been given to you so the ownership is with you and I think they don’t mind what you will do with it at all. So take a look the sentimental items and assess whether to use it as a decoration or take a photo of it and let go.

Use as Decoration

For photos, I put them into photos album that can be stored in the bookshelves. Same with love letters and cards, I make scrapbook and store it in the bookshelves as well. This way, I have more chance of seeing it than inside a box piled up together. For display items such as a figurine, ornament,  vase or a decoration, I will display them if I like them and if they matched the decors in my house. If they don’t, I let go. 

Take a Photo and Let go

For sentimental items that are not worth displaying, I take a photo of them before I give them away or throw them away. I don’t keep all the letters and card in the scrap book. Most of it I just took a photo and throw away except for some very special to me.  I know this may sound rude but I just don’t want to be burdened and be filled with stuffs, occupying storage that has no use at all. The photos will still remind me of the sentimental value of the item whenever I see it.

So that’s about it. These are not rules by the way. These are mere guidelines of things that works for me. I hope this inspires you to get organized in your own home. Fee free to leave me more tips in the comments below. Happy weekend!


For those who find difficulty in organizing your home, I want to help. Send me an email at info@romanelle.com and let me know your organizing problems and I will give  my best to help you. Talk to you again next time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments