HOW TO BUILD YOUR DREAMS

7:00:00 AM

There are people who gave up on their dreams and there are people who gave up EVERYTHING for their dreams. To me this is a great tragedy of life, and this should not happen to you.



In the past, the first scenario was more prevalent. People are afraid to reach for their dreams for social conformity, security of following the norms or fear of the unknown.

With the rise of the millennial, the second scenario came in. Everybody bought the idea of “Be your own Boss”, “Working for myself” and “Time Freedom” which are just empty promises (I’ll show you later why). We’re so sold out that we don’t care about breaking laws, burning bridges and thinking all for ourselves; they even call us Selfie Generation for the matter.

But there’s a way to strike the balance – to reach for your dreams without giving up life itself

First, let’s define your dreams. Have a clear vision of what you really want to achieve. What it is that you really want? Most of the times, we are not really sure about our dreams. We try to pretend we know it and we realize it isn’t real. Make sure you don’t fall in any of the following Defining Dream Mistakes.

COPYING OTHERS DREAM

We tend to copy the dreams the society gave us. We are programmed to believe that those who have a lot of money, those Entrepreneurs and Celebrities are the ones who live the dream life. We feel jealous about the perfect life that we see on TV and social media.  But what we see is only a tip of the iceberg, a portion of their life. I remember seeing an Instagram post of one celebrity going home at 3AM and waking up at 6AM for another taping.  Wait, this is not living the life for me. Chances are you get to sleep more than those celebrities do.  

Now let’s look at the Entrepreneurs, they look cool and powerful at the same time. Be your own boss right? But that will never happen! We simply change the name from calling them “boss” to “customers or clients”!

How about working for yourself? Nobody works for himself. We all have to work for others, that’s how we get paid.

Time freedom? Try to talk to a successful entrepreneur and you’ll find out they worked more than 40 hours a week. Granted, they have a lot of social events on weekends, but actually it’s just a better word for “marketing or networking events”.

I’m not crashing your dreams of being a celebrity or an entrepreneur. What I’m trying to say here is that, we may like the things they have but we may not like the lifestyle that comes with it. If you are up with the game, by all means go for it! But if not, don’t fake it.

There’s a lot of road to success, you don’t have to go to the same road as others. We are made to believe that you’ll never get rich by just being an employee. However, so many people had succeeded in life by being an employee. They may not be popular, but they’re living the life of their dreams.

I’m not lowering your standards either.  What I’m pointing out here, is to be real about what you really want.

Is it your dream to travel the world? You don’t have to join multilevel marketing or build your own company just to fund your travels. In fact, there are high paying jobs that allow you to travel the world for free.

Ask yourself honestly, what it is that I really want? Without knowing it, we have no way to go. We will pursue anything, following any waves that flow.

DEFINING YOUR DREAMS WITH THE MEANS

People dream about having a lot of money. They thought this is a big dream, but actually it is just the means, the way of reaching the dream. What you do with the money is what you really dreamed about.

Is it to be financially secure until retirement or to finance a charity you care about or to be a hero of some kind? Whatever it is, we must focus on achieving the dreams and not only the means.

I’m sure a lot of parents dream of caring for their children. Of course, this includes providing well for them. Some parents spend most of their time working hard even working abroad thinking they’re doing this for their children. Then they missed the PTA meeting and the soccer games. They even missed the graduation. Now the children are all grownups, parenting missed.

Sometimes, we get stuck on what we’re doing. We missed the reason why we’re doing 
things in the first place. Take time to evaluate your means to know if it’s stillaccomplishing the dream.

When I had my son, I have this dream of staying home and caring for him personally. I stressed out returning to work. A colleague, also a mom told me, “I know it’s hard, but you’ll get used to it”. Wait a minute, my mind tells me. Why do I have to just get used to this? Thinking about it, I know I need my job and I love what I’m doing professionally, but I also have this dream for my son. The idea of working from home came to me. However, it doesn’t seem to exist, especially in my field of work. I’m almost at the point of having a career shift, but God indeed never delays. I got a home-based job as an Accountant.

Sometimes, we have to give up the current means and find another that aligns with the dreams. Don’t be afraid to give up the means, there’s always a new one. As Marie Forleo says “Everything is Figureoutable”.

DON’T SLEEP AND DREAM

Take action. Write down 12 things you can do right now to achieve your dreams. It doesn’t have to be detailed yet, just write down your ideas on how you will accomplish the dream. Don’t stop until you come up with 12 ideas. If you can’t come up with 12 action steps, maybe you don’t really dream about it that much. If you do, you can list the 12 ideas right now. Do it, don’t cheat on yourself.

With this exercise, you open your mind to possibilities on how to achieve your dreams. Chances are, these are not all the steps. Along the way you will add more action items and eliminate some. But the point is to get started. Get going. Take one step at a time and take the first step now.

Build your dream in your own terms, with the right means and chase it every day. Enjoy every step of the journey. Sooner, you are living the life you’ve always wanted.


PS. This is just the first step in living the life you’ve always wanted. There’s more coming your way on the next blogs. Be sure to subscribe to get weekly updates and access to articles I only share with my subscribers. Click the photo right now.


You Might Also Like

0 comments