KNOWING GOD

6:00:00 AM

I was born in the Philippines. At a young age, I’m aware that there’s a God who created everything and rules the earth. I profess that I believe in God however, I have this doubt about God that I keep inside me for at least 18 years of my life. I wonder, if God is really powerful, mighty and perfect, how come He doesn’t know how to build a family?

Knowing God, Finding Clarity

I’m a product of two broken families. My mom and dad had failed relationship with their first partner to whom they had children. They fell in love and then I was born. While it’s clear that this is something I didn’t choose for myself, I can’t understand why people around me, neighbors, friends and even my teachers tend to point this out. I felt that my identity is linked to my parents’ choices.

Because of this, I made a commitment that “I will do my best to be the best in the all I do, until it will no longer matter to people how my birth came about”. My goal is to please everyone around me, my friends, teachers, siblings and my parents. I can vividly remember that one night, I’d recall how proud they are for what I’ve achieved in college, but to me, it’s nothing but a   façade. I created the Romanelle people will want to see, but the real one is unhappy, empty and despises her own birth story.

On my 18th birthday, my friend Therie lent me the book “Purpose Driven Life” written by Rick Warren. She intentionally wanted to give me a copy but she had no budget. I realized she really wanted me to read this book, so I go ahead and decided to finish soon not knowing that it is a 40-day devotional book. I thought, okay, I will scan through it and send it back, but this phrase from the book changed my mind, “You are not an accident”. These words hit me hard as if it were written for me, to answer the question I had for a long tie. 

“Your birth was no mistake or mishap, and your life is no fluke of nature. Your parents may not have planned you, but God did. He was not surprised by your birth. In fact, he expected it”.
Excerpt from The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

Long story short, I finished the book in 40 days and it changed my life. Finally, I get to know who God really is. Finally, I accepted myself for who I am and what my life is all about. After reading the book, my life was never the same again. I started to build my relationship with God and appreciate life more.

As I recall, I realized there had been a lot of opportunity for me to know God; Salty, the Korean missionary I’d met when I was 8, my brother who became a Christian and my Christian seatmate when I was in 2nd year in college. Every day we are given an opportunity to know God and His plans for us. But it takes a decision to grab the opportunity. 

Maybe, you’ve read this blog post for a reason. Maybe, it is not an accident. I want to encourage you to get to know God, if you haven’t known Him yet. Don’t settle for being aware of God, but you don’t get the chance to know Him personally and have a relationship with Him. 

Reading that book is one of the best decisions I ever made. In knowing God, I found clarity in what I believed in and I found clarity in my identity.


You Might Also Like

0 comments